Hussars are not only the pride of Hungarian military history, but also its patent. The Museum presents the centuries and extraordinary merits of the armed forces known both in America and Europe through the history of the longest lasting Hussar regiments, the Nádasdy-Hussars, in form of a permanent exhibition.
Almost every room of the Museum features furniture from old ages, guests can have a look at their ornamentation, study their composition and can recall the flair of living-rooms from the past five decades.
Members of the Bavarian ruling family, the Wittelsbach, owned the castle from 1875 to 1945 and spent almost the entire year in the period between the two World Wars here. They moved to Munich for merely the winter ski and ball season.
The more than 300 objects exhibited give an overview of Hungarian and European glass art. Most of the objects are from the 19th and 20th centuries, yet there are works from earlier ages from Japan, China, Russia and Western-Europe.
Sárvár is a key place of Hungarian arts history as this was the place where the translation of the New Testimony, the first work to be entirely published in Hungarian, was printed.
The central element of the exhibition is thus the reconstruction of a press, made according to descriptions and paintings of old.
The history of the town can be tracked back to the 13th century, however, in the past decades archaeological findings unearthed prove that people of earlier ages also found this area to be ideal for living.