Between the two World Wars there were several soda water makers in Sárvár. József and László Kucsera sold this beverage in bottles with their own guild inscriptions, engraved in the spirit of Revisionism. They were the ones to fill, deliver and sell their soda, at that time no one knew or heard about soda cartridges.
Soda water existed since the first half of the 19th century in the form in which it is used today. Its natural form is known for millennia, yet the process of its processing in an artificial way was explored by Ányos jedlik, the Benedictine monk in 1826. He established the first factory 1841 in Budapest. Soda water became a popular drink, especially mixed with red wine. Jedlik presented his invention in a wine cellar during the grape harvest in the town of Fót.
As the inventor did not patent the process of making soda water, there were entrepreneurs to take the opportunity and market the beverage in bottles. In the second half of the century syphon heads appeared and began to spread quickly.
According to the norms any water filled into a bottle with a syphon head, or a tube ending in a syphon head, can be called soda water. The head was meant to secure that only a little carbon dioxide escapes the bottle, thus the beverage can be enjoyed from its manufacturing to its use in the same condition.
The Bakery Holding of the United Soda Water Factories was established 1902 at the corner of the Dózsa and Hunyadi Streets. The exact date of its activity cannot be defined, however there was a restaurant in the building in the 1940ies.
Apart from József Komondy, Mrs. Imre Pissinger and the hoteliers of Sárvár and its surroundings it was József and László Kucsera to run a soda water factory in the times between the two Wold Wars. The Kucsera factory is still operating, handed over from father to son. The bottle exhibited here shows the guild sign with the name of the owners on one side (László and József Kucsera around the centred Sárvár sign), the other side shows the infamous Revisionist proverb “no, no never” painted in the colours of Hungarian national flag and surrounded by green branches with leaves. The aluminium syphon head shows the signs “József and László Kucsera, Sárvár” and “Sándor Vető, Budapest, 1943”. (szg)
Inventory number of the object: NFM Helytört.Gy. 63.29.1.