Seal of Dáka
Our guests can see the Nádasdy seal, the milestone of the rise of the family and the symbol of their new policy of expanding their land in the 18th century, since 2010. The Self-Government of Sárvár bought the seal from a collector in Budapest and deposited it in the Ferenc Nádasdy Museum.
The round imprinting surface show the coat of arms of the Nádasdy family, a duck between two straws on wavy water with its wings held towards the sky. The coat of arms is closed by a crown with eleven branches. In a circle the sign Dáka estate can be read.
On 30 April 1671 the key figure of Hungarian politics, the Palatine, Count Ferenc Nádasdy was executed. His entire possessions were confiscated and thus the family lost all their influence they had over two centuries. The family could not regain their old power, however, members in the following centuries could serve in the diplomatic choir or take leading roles in the counties Fejér, or Komárom and thus become respected member of society.
The Palatine’s son, Ferenc Nádasdy IV., participated in retaking the capitol 1686. His son, Ferenc V., gained fame as the owner of a Hussar regiment in Europe. The regiment carried his name from 1888 and it is their memorabilia which can now be seen in the Museum.
Ferenc Nádasdy IV. received the Dáka estate in Veszprém county from the Hungarian King Joseph I., which they owned until the middle of the 19th century. Ferenc IV. had a school built in the village and his son Boldizsár (the brother Ferenc V.) had a church constructed for both the Catholic and the Lutheran communities. The family also built a castle in Dáka, which was later bought by the Festetics family 1843.
The seal was used to wax-seal the official documents of the estate. Managing the estate was the foundation for the economic resources of the noblemen, therefore exact records were inevitable. The seal was a tool of validation in this system. (tzb)